Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Solidarity and Twitter

Yesterday I was in the middle of a little personal crisis. The company my husband was working for is having difficulty getting new contracts, so they decided to cut personal, one of them was my husband.

This would be (if sad for me and my family) anecdotical if it weren't for what happened when I knew.

I was feeling really worried and didn't have no one to talk to in that exact moment, so (maybe I overreacted, i don't know) I tweeted the next line in Spanish and English: "Y yo que estaba contenta, pues ya no, me acaban de dar la peor noticia / I was happy, not anymore, I received the worst kind of news :("

I didn't expect the kind of answer I had. A lot (and I mean 20 or more) people began to ask me what had happened. I answered them by Direct Messange (DM)

But what is extraordinary is that people in my city (and other places in the country) offered not only verbal advice, but help with promoting my husban's résumé, contact with head hunters, links to useful sites with jobs related with my husband's experience.

All this, even if maybe I was too expansive in the way I tweeted about my feelings, makes me conclude that a social media service only can be as extraordinary as the people who uses it. I don't think I'm wrong when I say I have found in Twitter interesting and fun conversation, and also solidarity that I didn't expect to find with people you talk with and that, in a way, is a part of your life.

Finally, all this post has one purpose: to thank everyone, you really make me feel conforted, and helped me to keep my head cool. I think, even if some say this media makes us cold with other people emotions, less emphatical, what teally happens is that you can see people show all his humanity as in any other place.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: