Friday, June 27, 2008

Freelance jobs and the new technologies

It is interesting how the new technologies are changing the way we do things, from obtaining information to working.

In my case a few years ago I would never have the possibility of getting a job that it is not traditional, only a job away from home, that requires me to travel a long distance every day and to be there from 9:00 to 6:00 if had 'normal hours' or work for more than 10 hours if it is one in the media.

But now I have a freelance job and I am doing it from home, thanks to the Internet and a fast computer. This concept maybe is old news in USA and other countries, but in Mexico still is a concept not many employers are willing to probe.

To employers, if they cannot supervise the work of their employees and keep close track of how they work, when, with whom, they feel they are not getting what they want of an employee.

I can understand in part this lack of confidence because I have seen some coworkers do all kind of things when they are not supervised by someone, from using the computer in more than inappropriate ways to leaving the office in working hours to do errands. But I believe if the employers does an evaluation of their people and choose carefully who can be responsible even if they are away from an office, they would lower their costs and have a satisfied worker who will be an asset to the company.

No comments: