Monday, March 23, 2009

Living in a Global Village, with a local attitude?

Original Description: Full-length profile port...Image via Wikipedia

Since Internet became an accessible way to communicate with people all over the world and somehow understand cultures, ideas and traditions from other countries we have the possibility to reach knowledge that probably we wouldn't possibly know about in other way.


But in this so called global village, sometimes I think many of us have been limited by the way we were educated, by the country we live in, by the political views we have learn from our parents, for our socio economical circumstances. And I think that when we do this, when we see the world through these lenses it is very possible we lose a lot about the reality we are trying to understand.

Image representing Twitter as depicted in Crun...Image via CrunchBase
I say this because I have been participating in Twitter, a micro-blogging plataform where you can interact with people you consider interesting or from whom you can learn something, but sometimes I find people who deny themselves the opportunity of at least trying to understand other cultures and how things are done in different parts of the world.

I have seen people who even think certain religion or culture is less than their culture. I don't think this is true. I believe it is different. Of course there are exceptions, I do not think some cultures claiming that killing (either people or any other living being) is justifiable, but other than that, I try not to judge a culture for one or two aspects I get to know about it. Instead, I try to read as much as I can to try to understand a country.

So, I think that the best way to act, the best attitude we can have in this global village is one of openness, where we do not exclude or condemn someone just because if 'from' somewhere, where we don't judge a culture for one or two of their members or their ideas. If we do not try to be open, then there is no sense in being involved in a media where interaction is one of its biggest aspects.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: