Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Accomplishment, my definition

In this year that has passed (another one, I can hardly believe it) I think we all have seen things change in a lot of ways. Some things have gotten worst (like criminality and insecurity here in Mexico), some things better (like the US election, that has given hope to many people, not only in the US), some haven't change (those of us who can say have good finances and have been able to keep them like that are fortunate).

But in the personal realm I think many of us are thinking "what did I do in this year, what did I accomplish?". Sometimes this question is hard because what we did in the year it's something not everyone seems to think as accomplishments. Sometimes we are even afraid of what certain family members will think of the stuff we have done in the year (I think there's always a family member who thinks it's his/her work to diminish anything we have done).

I believe we shouldn't let this people affect us. At the end of the day, as much as with our life goals, only we know what we consider an accomplishment. In my case, I think that I'm doing stuff that I didn't let myself do before, because I had a feeling of being the one who had to take every problem in her hands and solve it.

Not anymore. I am taking time off from a normal kind of work, working from home, taking care of my children, helping them to be good people and have self-esteem, no matter what the world says.

In the eyes of many people, even in the eyes of some women, doing this is a waste of time. I have known people who expects women to try to have it all: work, family, personal life. But I think, as a Mexican writer called Gaby Vargas has said, we can have it all, but one thing at a time it's better than trying to have it all at the same time.

I think eveyone deserves and even needs to pause and think what they want in life and how are they going to accomplish that. Taking time out also means giving this time to people around you who needs your time (like small children, like a sick family member, like your husband or wife if they are the ones who are working outside home and you can help them better staying and not going out).

At the same time, taking a pause can be a privilege too. I think this kind of decision allows you to see exactly what is really important for you and what isn't. How can we do that when we are running all the time?

So, I think I have been able to give my time to my daughter, to my baby and to my husband. I have time to read and enjoy and learn from people close (my friends) and far (mostly woman that inspires me in their blogs and that I really wish to be like one day) and I have had time to see that I should take care of myself and my family as a whole, meaning to take care of my body as much as my soul and that isn't being vain.

I hope everyone who reads this blog will have the same kind of feeling, a feeling of accomplishment even if the outside world does not recognize it like that.

3 comments:

T.S. Elliott said...

This was a nice blog. It is so hard for me to work and not spend every minute with my children. I was fortunate for 3 years to stay home and now I have to work very long hours due to the changes in the economy. One of my goals is to downsize my lifestyle so that I can work less hours and spend more time with the kids. It is awesome that you get to spend this time with your children.

Karina Velazquez said...

Thank you and thanks for your visit to the blog.

It's hard to leave kids, and if they are less than 5 years old I believe it's harder. I have managed to stay home, but I have worked before long hours outside home (when my daughter was 2 to 6 months old and then from 1 to 3 years old) and that's why I want to spend more time with her and her baby brother now that I found this online job. I know a forum where you can find this kind of jobs, if you want, I can send it to you. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely, Kary. I want to be with my children during their formative years and not have any regrets. I feel good knowing that I can have it all by working from home and being available to my children.

It doesn't bother me that there is no respect given to this choice. For me, it's too important. But that's just me.

!Feliz ano nuevo, Kary!