Friday, August 8, 2008

Descendants of our people, talents in USA



Looking for videos of the Olympics, since I couldn't see it because at the time I was working (hope they repeat it in the TV stations that are covering the event), I found the previous video of the Olympics: three siblings who were able to go together to the Summer Games.

Why is this so special to me? Steven, Jean and Diana Lopez, all coached by his brother Jean, are in the USA National team. Their parents were from Nicaragua, and they had to migrate because
their father worked for the government of Anastasio Somoza who was overthrown in 1979 after the Sandinista Revolution (see the Wikipedia article for more info).
They definitely are not Mexicans, but what I am pointing out when I say 'our people' is all the Latin American people who is changing his life to go to another country and look for better oportunities. And, if they perseverate, they make it.

This makes me think that, if enough effort was made in Mexico and other 'third world' countries, we will have a chance too, but it seems that our authorities are lost with so many problems that we don't seem to advance at all.

No comments: